Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Does Melanie Laurent Ever Comb Her Hair?

No, she does not.





I have seen quite a few films lately starring this hot French starlet. If you've seen her at all, it was probably in her role as Shoshanna in Tarantino's Movie Inglourious Basterds.





The films I saw and loved are Et Soudain, Tout le Monde Me Manque, which I thought was a sweet story with a great deal of heart. But maybe I was just excited because, for the very first time, I understood the French! The next one was the Mike Mills film Beginners, with Mlle Laurent and Ewan MacGregor.





In one of her quotes in the film Beginners, Laurent says, "My mother told me that Jewish girls cannot be beautiful. They can be cute or interesting, but not beautiful." Clearly, this is quite ridiculous. Beauty is a relative concept, and any person of a given ethnicity can receive a particular genetic package that their inherited society deems beautiful.





I like Laurent for the complex characters that she plays. There is always an internal struggle, and a facade which she uses to hide the inner turmoil. She pulls off this interplay with grace and charm.





As an additional fun fact, her father is Pierre Laurent, the voiceover actor who dubs the character Ned Flanders in the French version of The Simpsons!

1 comment: